Friday 10 March 2017

Tatting Shuttles

So it's time to talk about tatting shuttles!
Well there are many different styles out there, and they can become an addictive collectors item as easily as you will become addicted to tatting. There are three main categories with many variations on the theme.

Flat Shuttles





Bobbin Shuttles
I have tried bobbin shuttles and love the hook as it's hard to lose!
however I found them uncomfortable and the ratchet on my plastic shuttle was very noisy,








Post Shuttles
















I like to work with a clover shuttle, which is in the post style of shuttle as they have a nice little uplifted tip that you can use to pull your thread through a picot, or as you will undoubtedly do many times in the beginning to undo a portion of work that has become knotted, or is not true to the pattern.


The best shuttle to have is one that fits nicely into the palm of your hand and is comfortable to work with.
Shuttles come in different materials, silver, plastic, wood, bone,



I use a separate crochet hook, although I do tend to lose it frequently so often have several on hand.

My dogs know to run for cover when I get out of my chair as they often get showered with lost crochet hooks and beads.
You can make you own shuttles, I have seen cardboard ones used, ones made from plastic  food containers, and carved from wood.


You can also decorate your plastic shuttles to personalise them with colourful paper napkins and Mod Podge.





I haven't tried to decorate a shuttle yet but Romana has a nice tutorial on this art on her blog that you may want to check out.


decoromana.blogspot.com.au/2010/10/how-to-decoupage-tatting-shuttle.html


No comments:

Post a Comment