Thursday 9 March 2017

Tat-a-Licious Tatting the adventure begins!

Welcome to my fellow Tatters who share the passion / addiction that tatting infuses into our souls once you pick up a shuttle or needle and a ball of cotton and begin to create delicate lace. Tatting is a craft for all ages and once you know the basics you can create infinite combinations of stitches and picots to your hearts desire creating your own designs, and jewelry.

I love crafts from bygone era's and the creation of lace has always fascinated me from an early age, in my teens I taught myself to make bobbin lace from a few books I found at my local library and was inspired further seeing my French teacher lace making at a craft day in high school. Bobbin Lace is not something you can travel well with, or a craft you want to practice with toddlers around your pillow... the last thing you want are tangled bobbins and broken threads on your pillow, one tiny knock and chaos quickly follows and so my pillows went into storage while my children were young, and got left at home when we moved across the world.


Tatting on the other hand is very portable, I can carry a couple of shuttles in my handbag, and a thread cutter and Tat wherever I am, on the train, at work in my lunch break, sat under a shady tree in the park, or during our long flights back to the UK, and no one else can spoil my work with a knock or a trip, I am the only one responsible for my mistakes.

Tatting is one of those crafts that looks difficult when you first see someone especially an experienced shuttle tatter with the shuttle flying at high speed. However its definitely one of those penny drop skills that if you watch closely a few times, that penny drops and you are away. I taught myself to Tat with the help of many of the blogs and videos I found online in one stormy Sunday afternoon, and the following week taught my daughter the basics too. I will be including links along the way to the blogs and videos I found the most helpful and paying tribute to those Tatters as we travel along.

I hope you enjoy my blog, and I hope I can inspire a few people to pick up a shuttle or needle and start the journey to becoming a lace maker, just like my lovely French teacher inspired me.

So lets get on with it.......Tats- Away !

No comments:

Post a Comment