Thursday 23 March 2017

For the love of Owls

One of my most recent projects has been for my daughter who is smitten with owls.
On one of my many trips to Spotlight our local craft store I found a lovely owl in silver coloured metal to add to a necklace and have pondered for quite a while on how to add him into a tatted piece of jewelry.
 Lots of research on techniques for embellishment, led me to try my hand at encasing a brass ring with tatting. I have to say that I haven't mastered shuttle tatting onto a ring well enough to get the look I wanted and so I did a single crochet around the hoop, and tatted onto the individual stitches.I was very happy with the finish.
On looking at this picture I noticed as you probably have that the pattern doesn't look quite right on the bottom right of the ring. Another battle with my perfectionist demon here .........
The pattern was correct but unfortunately I didn't notice the missing ring was tucked behind the necklace when I photographed him before sending him on his 15,000 km flight home to my daughter....hey ho there's a lesson learned, more pictures and closer inspection next time,
I will take you through the stages of the pattern over the next few posts, so that you can also learn the techniques used and make your very own necklace.

1. Covering A Brass Ring 

 I will demonstrate 3 techniques:-


 Covering a ring in thread using single crochet 


 Covering a ring with tatting using a Needle


 Covering a ring with tatting using a Shuttle









And in later posts I will demonstrate how the ring was embellished using:-


Tatting Ankars 


This is a technique where a large ring is made and a smaller ring links to the next large ring, but sits in front, and between both larger rings giving the appearance of two rows of tatting.

I will demonstrate techniques for both Needle tatting and Shuttle tatting.


No comments:

Post a Comment