Friday 10 March 2017

Needle Tatting Tools

There are two types of tatting
  •  Needle Tatting
  •  Shuttle Tatting
For this post I will focus on needle tatting. 

Tools for Needle Tatting

You don't need many tools to begin tatting and for the beginner you may find needle tatting the easiest to learn first before you move onto a shuttle. 

For this post I will focus on needle tatting
Needle Tatting Tools
Needles aren't easy to find off the shelf and this can be a little frustrating if like me you decide upon a craft and immediately want to get going!

 However I found a way around that problem I used doll making needles to start off with, they are long and allow you room to create your stitches and are very cheap, I paid around $2 for a pack of 3, there was only one in the pack at the correct length but at that price I thought it was a good way to start. The needles are sharp and so blunted and smoothed the tip with sandpaper first before using it.
I made my first bracelet using this needle while I waited for my set of tatting needles to arrive in the post after ordering them online.
 Needles come in a variety of sizes and the finer the needle the finer the thread you use and the more delicate the lace you produce.

The two needles in the picture on the right are my first doll making needles, and as you can see the long needle is very close to the size of the far left tatting needle.
I have included a sizing guide for both thread and needle. Working with a size 3 or 5 needle is much easier for learning and size 10 cotton. Once you have mastered the techniques you can work on finer lace.

 

It's also handy to have the following tools for either needle or shuttle work:-
  •  A couple of crochet hooks in your work box to pull threads through picots for joining, and for threading beads. I like to use a 0.75 mm to go through tiny bead holes and a 1.3mm, or 1.5mm to pull thread through picots as the tiny hook can split the thread.
  • Some general sewing cotton to assist in the threading of small beads or beads onto picots
  • A pair of embroidery scissors
  • A couple of paper clips for beading 
  • Or a safety stitch marker used for knitting or crochet - * Do not use safety pins as your thread will become lodged in the spring and may split or break.
  • A needle threader especially if you are like me and struggle to see the eye in the needle!
  • A little note book and pen is also handy to write down your pattern or draw a picture of what you are working on with the stitch numbers added.


And finally we need thread!


Thread needs to be tightly twisted and highly mercerized, strong, smooth, have a nice sheen and be easy to work with. Crochet cottons are ideal for tatting.

What on earth is mercerizing I hear you say! I asked that too

Well it's a chemical treatment applied to cotton fibres or fabrics to permanently impart a greater affinity for dyes and various chemical finishes. Mercerizing also gives cotton cloth increased tensile strength, greater absorptive properties, and, usually, a high degree of lustre, depending on the method used.
 It's strength makes it ideal for making heirloom pieces that you want to pass on to future generations.

These are the threads I work with but there are many more on the market, when you read tatting blogs you will hear the name Lizbeth thread mentioned often, it is a favourite of many tatters. I have also had success with Milfords threads and DMC cotton threads. I will add some links of suppliers in my links in the right hand sidebar of my blog, but please send me links to add if you find a good supplier.

So we have the tools to begin needle tatting!






No comments:

Post a Comment